First thing I did was to beef up the saucer a bit. Using double stick foam tape I attached an old dryer hose around the edge. Then glued in place and filled gaps with Liquid Nails.
|I might replace this hose with a large foam pipe insulation tube or pool toy noodle.|
Once the Liquid Nails set up, I painted the dryer hose to get rid of the reflection and glare so I could see if I filled in the gap between it and the wood enough.
Next I added some larger details to the saucer with plastic rings from old outdoor path lights and foam baseballs cut in half (left over from the prop bats I made for Geeks vs Zombies).
I still liked the cockpit from the first attempt last year (a plastic planter cut down) and kept it. I detailed the edges with some foam pipe insulation tube at the bottom and a thinner fountain pump hose along the top.
|Glue blobs will be cleaned up later.|
|I'm planning to hinge the dome so I can have either an open or closed cockpit.|
At this point before I added any more details, I roughly painted the entire saucer so I could get a better sense of it as a whole so far. Without being distracted by it's individual parts and pieces.
|No, it won't be pink when finished. It just happened to be|
the first random color I grabbed from my paint stash.
From here (and in Part Three) I'm going to figure out the engines and other details. I don't now if I'll add too much more though, I really like the classic 50's B-movie/Ed Wood simplicity of it right now.
|One of Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space flying saucers.|
Contrary to popular belief, these were actually store bought plastic models
and not painted paper plates or pie-tins.