Christmas Shackles for Halloween


My hope this year is to create at least one Halloween prop a month till the season gets closer and I get into full mode. Well, I can check January off thanks to my Mom and aunt Ellen. A little while back I talked about my family passing me the packing tubes that secured my aunt's Christmas gifts to all. Mom started it by saying I could probably make something out of them.

So I did...


Although my shackles are not technically accurate to real ones, they work visually and should look pretty good hanging somewhere come Oct. 31st. They where very fast and easy to make, being done while waiting for glue and paint to dry on another project I had going.

I split each tube open removing about a 1/4" creating a gap...


For the protruding... latch detail? Not sure what to call it, but I think you get what I mean, I used some beat up scrap foamcore. I cut pieces to fit and roughly curved the edges and made holes for the chain. The shackles are old and rusty so the imperfections in the cutting give it character and an aged feel. Then glued them on the tube...


I split the end links on a short length of black plastic chain and slipped over the latch and into the holes. I filled in some seams and finished giving it all a thick faux rust paint treatment...

13 comments:

  1. Dave, You are MC GUYVER, man!
    It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like a perfect fit for Chewbacca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all super brilliant. But is the house clean? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice and simple: the best kind of props.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hero! We need prop shackles for a project hub has in the works. I hadn't even started looking for a how-to, was just catching up on my Bloglines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you just before Halloween this year ans HAD to add you to my reader. We love it too, just not anywhere as good at it as you are. Today I was pointed to a site and thought of you immediately. You may have already seen it, but just in case check out the "Best Halloween Costume Ever" http://thenextweb.com/2009/02/27/best-halloween-costume-ever/

    I thought if anyone could appreciate it and take it to the next level, it would be you. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I wish I had an imagination and the creativity like you! Can't wait to try some of your ideas. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive gotta say. you props are inspiring. good to know that you dont have to be a millionair to end up with some awesome props and displays. most can be made from things you already have around the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What was your 'rusting' technique?
    ( if you dont mind divulging it..)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crafty Mommy
    Thanks, glad you like. The rusting on this one is simple, sponging/dabbing on black, dark brown and bright orange paint almost at the same time letting all blend and mix a bit in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your stuff Dave! One of the best things about Halloween crafts is that mistakes and imperfections actually enhance the finished piece - how cool is that?!!

    ReplyDelete