Fun projects that don't pan out.

In 1990, Lowell House Publishing liked the work I was doing on other books for them. They asked me to illustrate a new series of "how to" magic trick books for kids called HOPPIN' MAGIC. They gave me a lot of freedom in designing the main rabbit character, inventing his frog assistant and have fun with the page layouts (imagined like a comic strip).

Unfortunately, it was one project too many and I was already falling behind on the other books I was already doing for them. HOPPIN' MAGIC was passed on to another illustrator. I was down about it for awhile, I really wanted to do this series. They did use the characters as I first designed them though.

Original, unused first cover. Pen/ink, watercolor and colored pencil


A few page thumbnails.





No comments:

Post a Comment