79 Days 'til Halloween : Building a Better Cauldron - Part Two


The cauldron is done, ready to be placed on a fire pit and have Grool the zombie inside. I painted it as a stand alone prop for the moment. Once the entire display piece is done, I'll probably add some blackened scorching on the bottom and a few drips of stew running down the sides.


From where I last left off in Part One, It was sanded it down and base coated, inside and out, with flat black house paint ( I removed the rings temporarily so they could be painted separately ).


I decided to give the cauldron some "character" by notching out and denting areas of the lip - as if it's been heated and cooled too many times over the centuries. Then it was painted with the faux rust treatment I use on most of my props. Once dry I splattered on some watered down orange and brown for extra weathering.


I made a "how -to" demo video of my simple rusting method. It's really basic and good for beginners (and an alternative for more advanced prop makers who find themselves money and time constrained on a project).


6 comments:

  1. Nice! Love the notches in the lip.
    Thanks for the rust video, too. I painted a giant gear rusty with a sea sponge a couple years ago, but I like your paintbrush look better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks fantastic! excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masterful...even perfectly timed the music! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done. Your work never fails to impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. planning to work on my cauldron this weekend so watched your video one more time. i wish someone would give you your own show so i could watch this stuff all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you make the green "stew"? I would love to try this for my yard!

    ReplyDelete