Jeff's Big Book


As propmaster for Nickelodeon's BrainSurge, I created this fun giant book used in each episode by host Jeff Sutphen. The one pictured here is the recently filmed second season makeover version of the book currently seen on the air in season one. It couldn't be very different as it's an established prop now. Because the audience only gets a brief moment to see the cover when Jeff holds the book up quickly before opening, the simple overall design and bold wording works well to recognize what it is as opposed to a prop tome of intricate detail.


The book had to be very large, but still very easy to lift and handle, so I made it from scratch with lightweight foamcore board. It's painted and finished using the same paper towel and Mod Podge method from my creepy old book how-to. Although it looks 500 pages thick, there are only 50 or 60 glued in sheets of thin drawing pad paper. I crumpled each page and loosely made flat again, so the book never really closes completely and has the illusion of thickness and weight. The pages were aged with brushed on coffee. The natural warping of the paper after drying also helps the illusion.


The ornate corners on the cover are cut out from craft store fun foam sheets with added brass upholstrey tacks. Like many of my past projects needing old labels, the one here is also done in Photoshop, printed out, glued on and aged with coffee. I wrinkled and tore the edges for the worn look while still wet.

7 comments:

  1. Ah, the coffee trick... I used some recently to age a "Pirate Map" but wanted it even darker when done. I used a rag filled with some grounds to rub in darker areas. Fantastic results... still smells of coffee though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave: I've linked you in the comments section of my blog post, "Prop, Hoax, Tribute, or Art?". I thought you might be interested:

    http://proto57.wordpress.com/2009/08/14/prop-hoax-tribute-art/

    Rich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave I was wondering, how do you glue the pages in, and how did you make it to be a functioning book? I'm looking to do a spell book, but I didn't want to use a real book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I glued each page together along the edges (about 1/4" wide) until thick enough. While that dried, I cut the cover pieces out to fit, 3 pieces - back and front cover and a binding edge.I put those together with tape leaving a 1/8" gap so would be an easy open hinge. From there, I painted and finished the cover.

    I took my pages stack and covered the glued edges with a single piece of paper. Then I hot glued that edge center on the inside cover binding piece

    Hope makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I get it, still weary about the spine, but I think trial and error will get it there for me, thanks Dave. I also wanted to say that I want to make a tombstone like your monster drawing you did with the candles in the mouth, if I do, I will share it with you, I love the stuff you do!

    Marcus

    www.morumencemetery.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave, I'm not a professional prop maker or even a semi-professional, but wanted to first say, "WOW" and second say that I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I came here by way of a "momma blog" and she recommended you for help with making a book for Christmas Play. I was just asked to make one for our church play and had no idea what to do. That you generously shared this information is beyond fantastic--especially for novices like me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, where can I buy very large sheets of foamcore board?

    ReplyDelete