Summer movies

The new batch of summer movies are about to hit. I'm looking forward to Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Superman Returns and X-Men 3. They represent what I think is best about summer movies since Star Wars in 1977... movies that really should be seen on the big screen and better yet, fantasy based. The stuff I could not wait to see as a kid reading and re reading every issue of Starlog or Fangoria long before the internet.
I'll always remember the summer of 1982...that was a kick butt year for summer movies...and really influenced and inspired my creative side . Those movies that summer were:

Conan the Barbarian
Mad Max 2 : The Road Warrior
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
Poltergeist
ET: The Extra-terrestrial
Bladerunner
The Thing ( John Carpenter's )
The Secret of Nimh
Tron
Pink Floyd:The Wall


Yea, go ahead and read that list again...it's true, all those now geek classic films were in one summer between May and August of 1982.

That was a good summer...and seeing Pheobe Cates remove her bikini top in Fast Times at Ridgemont High was a rite of passage for my generation. Yes, they came out that summer too. A classic Sean Penn line from the movie, I still quote ..."it's OK, my Dad has an awesome set of tools".

What also made it a cool summer was the release of my Dad's one and only movie, Fighting Back, starring Tom Skerritt and Patti LuPone. He was the co producer. It was loosely based on a "60 Minutes" segment he produced and directed about the leader of a New Jersey neighborhood watch that walked a fine line. He was labelled a vigilante.

Fighting Back was far from a hit that summer but in all fairness it was released the same weekend as: The Road Warrior, Annie and Dead Men Don't wear Plaid. It never stood a chance.
But it did make more money than Monty Python's : Live at the Hollywood Bowl.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, that's an excellent article; glad I found it. But what an awesome Summer for movies!! Though I've always heard about the "Secret of Nihm," but never watched it. Is it worth an hour+ of my time?

    Thanks.

    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so. The Secret of Nimh is not the greatest of movies but is a beautifull quality film at the time when animation was dead. Long before the late eighties comeback.
    Don Bluth directed. It's also a very dark films and shy on the standard cute and funny gags. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your 1982 list of summer movies...that's pretty cool perspective.

    --RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah..that was a COOL summer...mostly cause we were best friends back then. Ahhh...the bars of Iona College....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you ever wish you could go back? Back to '82. Things would have been different if Coach had put me in the fourth quarter. I'd have gone pro, and now I'd be STARRING in Superman Returns, with my soulmate, instead of waiting til it comes to our theater three years from now here in Preston...

    ReplyDelete